Looking to jazz up your plain apples? Want to make a quick and healthy dessert? This Raw Toffee Apple recipe is the perfect recipe for a fun way to use up your apples this winter. The combination of the apples, toffee, raw chocolate and our Dr Gaye Super-Spoonful makes for a great treat any time of the year!
You will need:
- Organic red apples
- Wooden sticks (chop sticks work well)
For the toffee / raw caramel
- 12 dates
- 1 tsp lucuma (optional)
- 1 heaped tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 handfuls of Dr Gaye Super-Spoonful
- Raw chocolate (see below for separate recipe)
- Soak dates in only just enough water to cover them for about 6 hours.
- Put in blender with lucuma, coconut oil and blend until creamy. If you need more liquid, slowly add the non-dairy milk to get a cream consistency.
- As the caramel begins to cool it will set more. The consistency should be creamy and smooth enough to spread all over the surface of an apple.
- Roll in Dr Gaye Super-Spoonful and press into the caramel.
- Leave in fridge to set (2 hours is plenty).
- Slowly melt raw chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of warm water.
- Mix until melted and creamy.
- Drizzle over set toffee apple.
- Put back in the fridge to harden.
Roll the toffee apple in the Super-Spoonful
To make your own raw chocolate
In a glass bowl over a pan of hot water, melt:
- 3 heaped tbsp of raw cacao powder
- 3 tbsp of raw cacao butter (you can use coconut oil if you don’t have this)
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 2 level tbsp sweetener, either: coconut sugar, raw honey or Xylitol